This easy-to-prepare appetizer never fails to impress. Use a good-quality bacon to wrap impeccably fresh scallops, which are broiled until the bacon crisps. The dipping sauce of mayonnaise, Sriracha and fresh lime juice takes about 1 minute to make.
- 1 pound ocean scallops (don’t use bay scallops)
- 1/2 pound good-quality, minimally-smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Sriracha sauce to taste
1. If the scallops are large, cut them to one- or two-bite size. Cut each bacon strip in half cross-wise, then wrap each scallop with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. (You want the bacon to completely wrap the scallop.)
2. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice and Sriracha to taste. (Start with ½ teaspoon, taste and add more if you like it extra spicy.)
3. Turn on the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil, and arrange the scallops in one layer. Put the scallops under the broiler, making sure they’re not too close to the heating element, or the bacon fat with burn and catch fire.
4. Broil 7 minutes. Turn the scallops over with tongs, and broil 5 more minutes. If the bacon is still not crisped, carefully drain the excess fat, and return scallops to the broiler for a couple more minutes.
5. Allow the scallops to cool 2 or 3 minutes, then serve with the chili-lime mayonnaise.