This recipe is one of the easiest — and most often requested — hors d’oeuvres.
- 30 fresh asparagus
- 10 slices prosciutto
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
1. Trim the hard, tough ends off the asparagus and discard. Gently holding the asparagus by the tip, peel the asparagus stalk with a vegetable peeler. (If you’re really pressed for time, you can skip this step).
2. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the prosciutto slices into 3 long strips. Wrap one prosciutto strip from the base to the tip of each asparagus (like a barbershop pole). Gently lay the wrapped asparagus in the palm of your hand and gently press to warm the prosciutto and bind it to the asparagus. Repeat with the rest of the asparagus and prosciutto.
3. Turn on the broiler. Film a baking sheet with olive oil, then arrange the the asparagus in two rows. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put the baking sheet under the broiler.
4. Broil 5 minutes, then use tongs to turn the asparagus over. Broil another 5 minutes or until the prosciutto has crisped. Turn the asparagus one more time and broil 2 or 3 minutes until the prosciutto has again crisped.
5. Transfer the asparagus to a platter and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.